9.09.2008

It Happened One Night, I started a blog…

It’s a L O N G story. I said that about 3 times today. But then again, I don’t remember. I was VERY late to the gym this morning. Poor King was worried. Sorry! My alarm sounded, but it was not enough to wake me. I awoke barely in time to get the boys ready for school. However, it took forever to do basic things to “get ready” for the day. I was lucky I remembered today was Tuesday and turned left – I go to a different gym one day a week. I didn’t have the wherewithal to be in step class though. I’m sure it would have been entertaining for the others, as I would have fallen on my butt – or maybe missed the step going forward and fell on my face; either way – way too much embarrassment and pain for me. When I arrived at the gym I chose to use the elliptical machine … where feet stay firmly in one place and move with the machine – a much safer choice. Why so sleepy? Nope, it was not the sprinklers. It happened last night – I think? I was up late writing… a blog; well, actually shamelessly flaunting pix online of cute kids in my family. It must have been about 1:30am. I heard distinctive bunk-bed noises that usually mean someone is having a bad dream and is about to get up. I checked. It was Jason. Not dreams. He had a bloody nose and needed to get up to take care of it. “Good thing you are already awake, Mom.” Yeah, timing is everything. That was when it began. Sleeplessness. As we took the appropriate measures to care for his nose, there was a quiet knocking at the door. Huh? Yeah, exactly what we both thought at 1:40 in the morning!! Jason was immediately suggesting who it could and couldn’t be based on the height of the knocking and the pattern of the knock. I handed him my cell phone with a knowing look and nod… then walked to the front door to look through the peep hole. A visibly frantic 20-something girl – who I recognized as my neighbor’s niece – was nervously wringing her hands and shifting on her feet. I opened the door and she immediately gushed out apologies for lateness and such… describing a tale of her mother stuck on a freeway across town walking in the cold; by the sounds of it - she was barely more hysterical than her daughter standing before me. The girl asked for assistance and used the phone to call her uncle at work as she would need to borrow his car to help her mom (his sister). He works about 2 miles from my apartment. This sounds like an interaction that would ordinarily be only a few minutes, but was actually a 20 or 30 minute ordeal. The Mother couldn’t describe where she was - exactly. The battery was dying on her cell phone. The more she talked, the farther she walked, and the more disturbed she became. The daughter calmed herself when she finally identified a landmark described by her Mother – she recognized that location and was relieved to let her mother hang up. She needed a ride to the Uncle’s car. Jason observed while using nearly a whole box of tissues on his nose… he said “wow Mom, you’re like the Good Samaritan”. Oh my. Would it be possible to rest? No – Jason was hungry. He picked something light to eat. It was now 2:15am. Finally it was quiet; all was finished. That is except Jason’s nose; it took some time for it to stop. We sat together and read a book while he held a cool cloth on his face and pinched the exact spot to slow things down. Whew!!! Soon it really was over. Jeffrey long asleep. Jason comfortably in bed. Computer in sleep mode. Doors locked. Make up off. Lights out. I think it was about 2:45am when I slid under the covers. AUGHHH – Oh my gosh … I didn’t finish my blog!
HonuGirl

2 comments:

  1. That was all to much like a horror movie. Blood, sleeplessness, strangers in the night and unfinished blogs....what next?

    Duhn. Dun. DUH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEEEK ... the unfinished blog. No wonder you weren't up for a step class ;)

    Your neighbor's niece is lucky you blog!

    ReplyDelete

Whaddya thinkin?