9.11.2008

About the Twins...

Discussions of future, hope halted.

I remember it well. It was supposed to be a happy day.

There was one, not so momentous, but certainly exciting thing to-do on my list that day.

  • coffee w/Shari - my house (surrogacy)

Oh, the anticipation of being part of someone's life dream . . . I was humbled, shaking with joy.

We were going to discuss in detail the nitty gritty of my being a gestational surrogate. (That's the type where I'm providing the womb - she & her husband bring the genes.) I would once again try to convince her that I knew what I was offering. This was something her damaged heart had long ago stolen - as it would not be able to support carrying her dream of new life through all nine months. My heart confirmed my words: yes, I know this one thing I was meant to do. All soul-searching was further blessed by a confident spirit and not a bone in my body had a doubt. I was excited for 9.11.01 to arrive – I had envisioned a friend, a latte, and laughter… always, laughter with us. I would finally see the elation on my friend's face that I had only heard in her disbelieving voice over the phone... "will you really - you're serious? I can't believe you!" ~

The radio sounded that morning had come; in the moments that followed I was stunned by what I heard. I listened in disbelief to such shocking news. 9.11.01 had arrived. And my simple, life-blessing day of joy took a turn in a horrifying direction. Discussions weren't of happiness, great joy, but of tragedy and loss. Neither Shari nor I could possibly think of anything but Twin Towers and the Pentagon; of planes, people and . . . I'm sure you remember it all too well. Prayer. Heartfelt mourning. Sadness. Grief. Prayer.

~

Our coffee date was rescheduled. Slowly, we began to focus again. Hope was nurtured. We discussed the future. Through technology, prayer, and miracles. It happened. Babies in womb. Months of waiting. 10.2002 Twins arrived: Will & Mac ~ It has been seven years.

Time flies. Shari sent me an email yesterday. Five-year-old Will asked if she remembered when he grew in her tummy.
"Weeeell... " read more: Dish - by Shari
Memories revisited. The twins will be six-years-old next month. ~ Hope of a future in the midst of tragic memories. I wonder if Shari can meet for coffee this week? Maybe we'll have a moment of silence remembering people affected by the Twins that fell - if her twins will allow for a moment of silence to fall. Jeremiah 29:11

HonuGirl

2 comments:

  1. ecat1Oh, Jolene, this story has me in tears. Happy and sad. Thanks for writing it and for being you. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops... there's some weird letters in front of my comment.

    I still think you're amazing (but I can't type).

    ReplyDelete

Whaddya thinkin?