9.14.2008

Patience...

Popsicles or Polish?
I shuttered as I listened to yet another cry of impatience from my boy (pick one, either one they both resemble this remark)… hummmph. I paused for a moment. My mind shot off into its own little diatribe of “when??? What do you mean, WHEN???” Haven’t you noticed the things I do for you? … _________ [ insert here a reminder list of multitudes of mothering activities, nurturing, caretaking, bandaging, feeding, transporting, toy purchasing, housekeeping, and uhh the list goes on ad infinitum. ]. Yet you [dare] suggest that I am not doing something fast enough to accommodate your needs? grrr. =/ Thank God. That only occurred inside my head. Whew. The chance of my blurting out toxic waste passed safely without injury!! I know this because there is a distinct absence of that disgusting flavor of toenail polish from having stuck my purple-painted, toe ring adorned, foot into my noxious mouth – only to have to remove it later and reapply polish (and scrape my tongue … eww). However. The comments never left my subconscious mind. I mentally worked on the scenarios of “impatience” for some time. "How long until this goes away... it still hurts" – upon applying medicine and bandage to road rash (knee to calf) from Jeffrey’s bike incident. "Why can’t I have a popsicle now." [at 9:30 am] “Why did this happen? Why did that chain have to brake when I was riding?” – upon applying medicine and bandage on both scraped elbows after Jason flew over handlebars riding a friend’s bike. "It will take 8 weeks of allowance before I can buy [insert Lego set name here]; why can't you just get it for me now, then I'll pay you back" ~ It came to me rather abruptly while washing my hair. Dang suds; they must have cleansed the build up in my brain. Right there with wet hair my mind began an internal conversation. A mind is a wonderful thing – sometimes – pain in the butt at others! Mine began to replay some of my conversations with God. Of which, I’m too embarrassed to list many, but there is an uncanny resemblance to some from my kids. Hmmm. “Do I really have to feel such pain while healing?” “When will I get a break?” “I can’t wait until… “
“Seriously, need help here!!” I recognized that He could so easily respond with that “reminder list” of how I dare not notice His blessings ... yada yada. It could be: He might pointedly question how can you be so ungrateful for safety through the Red Sea of your life? Do you not appreciate the comfort I offered when you felt alone? Where is the gratitude for the gift of cherished friends who supported, loved, encouraged and shared so practically with you? Will you continue to ask me “when” I plan to bless you MORE?? ~ And with that – in His infinite wisdom and perfect timing – my Heavenly Father spoke silence to my impatience with impatience. ~ Alrighty then.
Hey, if you need me, I’ll be painting my toenails while the boys eat popsicles (after lunch).
HonuGirl

2 comments:

  1. OH! True dat!

    How many times have I heard the whining only to whine myself?

    I just imagine God heaving a sigh and rolling his eyes at my requests.

    Funny.

    J~you are such a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I rather enjoyed visualizing the eye-rolling {head shaking too I'd bet -- Sheesh}... so true!

    KL You ROCK! jj

    ReplyDelete

Whaddya thinkin?