8.19.2008

Storm's Over . . .

"The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" Did you experience the thunder storm this morning? I sure did. It was surprising. Incredibly loud. Frustrating too – I had to run to my car (with workout bag, purse, energy drink & keys) during a deluge. Frightening - as I worried a little when only a moment passed between each bolt of lightening and those thunderous roars. Yikes! Later, it was déjà vu. As that wasn’t the only storm of my day. Not too long after the morning storm passed – weather was no longer my concern. I was faced with a storm less threatening physically but certainly a storm of its own kind: emotions – aggravation, turmoil and words are the lightening, thunder and rain that poured only a few hours after my boys returned home. It’s not people or circumstance that determines this (or so I pray) but perhaps the idea that transition must occur on a regular basis; and no matter how long it’s been – they are children of structure. Space and time (and toys) are very important in their world. It happens every time in some way, some form.
A predictable storm. Often, I feel I am ill-equipped to cope… it may even take a while to process the what / why & how of managing the storms that arise. However, today I was not overwhelmed by the perceived power of the storm; I held my ground. In terms of parenting, I believe that I am not alone. I parent with the perfect trifecta of Heavenly Fatherhood for my boys. I claim the truth of God’s word for wisdom, strength, and grace. Framing what it means to love one another takes the terror from the sounds of thunder. Describing how precious each child is to God, to me – as each brother loves the other (as friends for life) soothes the fear that lightening may strike a painful blow. Sharing how to use words to love not to hurt quickly dries the rain of tears that reflect a wounded heart. (Not to mention the fact that I will not be producing any more … followed by 'that's obvious Mom'!)
It’s quiet here. There are no demands… my voice is confident, but quietly affirming… I suppress the need to lecture the boys… yet, they are acutely aware – in this home – I insist we speak truth. We review examples of mocking that were just witnessed – these are not truthful words. This needs to stop here, now. I spoke a prayer over their hearts, actions and words… may gratefulness fill their hearts, caring actions be expressed by their hands, and loving words flow freely from their mouths. Then we walked through what a “sincere” apology sounds like; how it feels to give and receive such apology. What a relief. The storm no longer threatens… we are at ease.
Afterward two boys must repair relationship ... they pretend to lovingly, sincerely apologize – we all laugh. It is well with my soul. Finally – my joyful, spirited, courageous, compassionate and incredible offspring are enjoying blue skies. Beaming with the sunshine of laughter, love, and joy they offer to help with laundry, dishes and vacuuming (probably hoping for last week’s allowance) – they work now as a team! What a lovely feeling of hope that remains after a storm has safely passed; the smell of first rain still lingers. The future’s so bright I just gotta wear shades!
HonuGirl

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes I do not know how you do it. You are growing and learning. The boys are lucky to have such a great mom. They will be wonderful caring Men some day soon.

    Peace

    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I so, needed this post today...thanks. You are such a great momma and a compassionate person, God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank heaven for our Heavenly Father... and His wisdom in times of parenting storms! You did awesome, and I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Whaddya thinkin?