8.09.2008

So it begins. . .

Was this like, um… a date? For the most part, it wasn’t a special Friday. I worked out in the morning; arranged childcare; went to the office; finished work; paid for childcare; hung out with boys; transported one to an overnight and another to a play date with the neighbor kid. It was early evening and there I was alone – typing thoughts into my computer – "Oh, The Thinks I Could Think" – would be my computer's Dr. Seuss description... as it kindly keeps all my journal notes private – unless I give permission otherwise. I do love my computer! While fully engaged in thought, I heard a familiar voice (by the open patio door) saying “I’m going to the pool – want to come?” This guy knows I don’t enjoy swimming – I go solely for the SUN – which today was practically non-existent. Hmmm… and why would I go to the pool with cold air and no sun? He prodded me a little – my comment about being cold is met with: the water is warm (the pool heater was broken earlier in the week). But I don’t want to swim (now it sounds like I’m a whiny kid) – you could bring a book and relax. Then he caught me with his final jab – Really, I’d like to be with you a while… maybe you can keep me company; just sit on the swing. In my thoughts, I weighed the options quickly: a single woman, a Friday night, a computer -- or sit by pool reading book with male companion. Okay Fine! I agreed to meet him there after I retrieved a book, blanket and a hot latte – hey, I have my priorities! When I arrived at the pool next door, there were a number of people there – in the 10 minutes I spent gathering necessities, this guy already had the attention of every guest. He was entertaining them with his energetic personality and gift for conversation. Just watching him engage with others and the energy with which he performed in the pool… I was gratefully thinking about my decision to only observe - as I’m sure (being older than he) I would be hard pressed to keep up with this active fish (I mean, guy). While I read my book the number of guests at the pool reduced… to two. Without much persuasion I had soon become the only member of his audience – although I admit his tricks, flips and antics (oh he is quite a swimmer) were worthy of oohh’s and ahh’s for sure. He noticed quickly when my attention and eyes returned to the book; he swam to the edge of the pool deck in front of me to ask what I was reading. I was slightly embarrassed as I was reading a book for Mom’s – stories about sons (sheesh – yup, the mushy type). I thought he’d roll his eyes or it would change his interest somehow. But imagine my surprise when he asked me if I would read it aloud to him. Awww, now this is a guy who can capture a woman’s attention! In no time, dusk had arrived, it was nearing 9pm and my blanket was barely protecting me from the breeze that had kicked up. I wondered if he was depleted of energy or hungry (as I hadn’t eaten dinner – except a latte). As if our minds were tuned alike we both said something about needing food/eating dinner and we laughed as our stomachs growled; food would be a good plan! My apartment is just across the parking lot and around the corner from the pool; so we walked there together. As we strolled toward the sidewalk he put his arm around me in a gentlemanly fashion, pressed his shoulder into mine, and whispered in my ear “thanks for coming to the pool with me… I had a great time.” We arrived at the apartment and I suggested I'd make breakfast for dinner – a favorite for us both. Cooking is not my forte... so, I was thrilled that he offered to help even if just to flip the pancakes. He likes to work in the kitchen. He managed the cooking quite well; with a towel flung over his shoulder, he cracked eggs, flipped pancakes, and rattled on about each step like a pro on TV.
It was so entertaining, fun, and very relaxing to watch a man take charge in the kitchen (look out Emeril -- BAM)! He even agreed to have a latte with me (he doesn't even like coffee – whaat?); through a grimace he said “oh, this is the best (read: my only) latte I’ve ever had” – gotta love that in a guy, eh? When we had cooked, eaten and cleaned… we retreated to the couch. It was rather late now. My thoughts were sprinkled with anxiety as I wondered whether this is where the break down might occur… my past experiences haunted my present.
My Serious thoughts were disrupted as I was asked a question that I apparently didn’t hear the first two times being asked. Uhh, yes I’m listening… why what did you say? Do you want to read more of your book? I’ll read a little out loud then you read (my heart fully engaged with his words, as they are my love language). We snuggled close and read aloud. When it was getting past what would be considered appropriate for the night – I made the suggestion that the evening was at an end. My dear, sweet companion leaned in to kiss me on the cheek, saying:

I love you, Mom!

Was this, like um… a date?

I had fun. Can we do it again sometime?

Only let’s go to the mall;

You can hang with me at the science store (Imagination Station)

Then I’ll walk around with you at the gadget store (Storables/Kitchen Kaboodle,).

Today while at the salon waiting for my nails to cure… uh, dry. I observed a man walk in with his little girl – she was maybe 5 or 6 years old – she was adorned in pink from head to toe; he lifted her to view and select a shade of nail polish (blue was her final choice); he then requested – “can someone paint her nails?”
So it begins …
HonuGirl

1 comment:

Whaddya thinkin?