11.04.2008

In memory …

A Missing Dash

I stood at the cemetery overlooking the flowers I'd just placed on their graves. The orchids I selected would have pleased her for sure they were her favorite flower. For him, to be remembered at all would be a blessing my presence alone would have wrought smiles.

 

For a moment I admired how nicely the grass had grown in to cover the unattractive dirt rectangle I remembered from my previous visits. It had been so hard to place the flowers in the holders, bending forward there was no mistaking the earthy odor of fresh dirt on the grave. I know it would have been offensive to her to see such an ugly brown patch untended through the winter months, and puddles of rain turned muddy during the spring showers… it was a bright, warm day and finally the grass had grown to a lush, dense green and had spread evenly across both their graves. She would have been pleased. After primping the flowers I stepped back to take in the contrast from the green of the grass to the multi-colored bouquets that now brightened the space where their headstones would be.

 

So much time had passed; yet the lacking marker was another reminder that even in death we cannot make others act on our priorities. I knew it was ordered… I had so hoped to have one more piece of evidence that their journey in life would be marked permanently in stone. The length, at least, is noted by the dash that holds the place between dates of birth and death. Alas, their journey was over, but no stone… no dash.

 

It was at that moment, after taking in the sights, smells, and sounds that suddenly my knees went weak, my eyes filled with tears, and attempts at speech were futile oh, not for loss of words which were flowing rapidly in my mind, directly from my heart.

 

Tears poured uncontrollably as thoughts burst wildly through the peace that existed moments before. Suddenly, I wanted time back to tell them how much I miss hearing their voices on the phone; to say how empty I felt without the hugs we always shared to greet each other. They certainly would understand how I longed for a few more hours on their couch sharing stories and awaiting words of wisdom or the witty quotes and jokes that always made me smile. I wished I could hear each say my name one more time I truly miss the unique way it sounded when it left their lips. I had rarely stopped to think that one day I would no longer feel the same warmth or joy I had always experienced in their presence… to feel genuinely at home, deeply loved and always their own.

 

Although, genetically… I was not their own. They had many daughters by marriage, but their own sadly didn't survive; hers was an extremely short dash. Somehow, through many years I remained 'theirs' by more than mere association. It was through an unconditional love we couldn't sever and a soul connection that would shake me to my core when their lives were disrupted in any way.

 

It was then I actually prayed that I could speak with them, as I desperately wanted to express that our amazing soul connection did not dissipate when they left it remained ever present in my heart now shared with members of their family.

 

The tidal wave of tears finally subsided as the memories took their place to comfort the ache that had stolen my peace. The solace of truth was enough… their pain is gone, they remain eternally united, they have accompanied their own daughter, who waited a very long time to welcome them to their heavenly home. It was selfish of me to want them to stay.

 

So, in the loving, joyful voice they'd always known from me, I spoke my heart and departed with the same words I always said when I left them… "I love you!" Indeed, it is my consolation that those words were spoken often between us and that they were the last words they heard me say before they left this world.

 

God continues to restore my peace about the missing dash for my loved ones. Whenever I need, He reminds me that He loves them deeply, they have no cares now, He completes their stories, and that soul connection… it's His reminder to me that love has no boundaries!

 

Life is a journey we live the dash, never truly prepared for the pain of losing the ones we love or the immense empty space that exists without them. Live well, laugh often, and love always as if the dash ends with your parting words.

 

"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you." Philippians 1:3 (KJV)

 

from the heart of an almost-sister, sort of daughter, and soul/friend connection for a lifetime…

 

HonuGirl

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to the family that God makes for us. The people we carry in our hearts. And the importance to live as much and as well "in the dash" as we can.
    Thanks for sharing this, friend. These must have been some super people. I'm sorry you're missing them so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really touching and beautiful.

    Sorry to hear you are feeling sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete

Whaddya thinkin?