11.19.2009

What? – I need a ‘benchmark’ …

Do I have to have my eyes open?

"Now is when you set your benchmark!" She called out during the first 5 minutes of class. I cringed at the idea that I wouldn't know if I've set the right benchmark – it's my first time. Arggh.

Wait – that's actually closer to the end of the story. Better fill in the beginning and middle first.

*-*

I have this new friend – to protect her identity (while I thrash on our after-work 'date') I fondly refer to her here as my Get-Fit Girlfriend (GFG), which reflects her desire/energy toward fitness, not throwing fits (she's so sweet).

In our brief acquaintance stage, we had fun discovering how much we have in common, yet remain quite different; she's taller, younger, and has not yet experienced motherhood (but she does have a boyfriend, so – uhh just kiddin' – I won't touch that.)

I think she very bright (intelligent & cheerful), driven, and goal-oriented. Today I learned she "LOVES" to play with babies – me, not so much anymore. Oh, I know, I've had them – I'm just not inclined towards reliving the fully-dependent, coo-ing and/or the uh-oh where'd he go now (crawling) stage. But I did give in today with the blue eyed cutie pie in his Osh-Kosh engineer duds, quite flirty too.

*-*

Back to my point ~ since our fitness goals align; we decided to join efforts to "create" the time to get fit. We both know what our personal fit figure feels like – when we wear it – which admittedly that particular body-suit is somewhat elusive and our options from our closets grow smaller as time passes! (yikes)

So we now bring our workout bags to work so we can grab the occasional lunch hour fitness opportunity or an after work gym date! So far so good; today was one of those successful plans – 5pm, meet at the gym for 5:30 class!

No problem. Uhh, yeah.

We had our first glitch in the parking lot, when she announced… ummm, my bag is not in the car (kind boyfriend put wrong bag in car; being helpful, of course) – I only have a tank and shoes. Hmmmph.

No worries – your new friend is an indecisive pack rat and has enough "extras" to complete outfit – good thing you brought shoes, because we are not the same size! Whew! Problem solved.

All dressed and set… now get to class.

I am a newbie to this one… timidly, I walk to the back of the room, checking out the equipment with severe anxiety. How did I allow GFG to talk me into this? I should've suggested a different class. Ughh – heavy, sinking feelings ensue as I walk up to the stationary spinning machine – commonly known as a bike – but a fancy marketing idea to call it a "spinning" machine is rather appealing, compared to rump-busting, leg burning, pain-inducing cycle.

Guess that's just me being honest about the whole aversion to cycling. Yes, my friends, you see I have sworn off the real bicycle sport as in the past it did not treat me well… at least that's the way I "spin" the myriad of bad memories (and puns) from riding with FSU (former spousal unit).

*-*

Oohh-kaay... fine. Back to class.

It's all cool – for the first couple of minutes, spinning is easy. Then that whole… benchmark thing – what, why must I set a benchmark, I've never done this before. I don't get it. Hmm, just follow along it may make sense later (some things do).

Fast forward 10 minutes. Putting the past behind me (as well as a painful feeling).

And, I AM following -- at my own pace-- all commands …

"Gear Up" "Outta the Saddle" "Push it" "Another Minute" "Back to Saddle"

"Race it" "Gear down" "Benchmark" "Last Set"

(She repeats this pattern over & over for about 1 hour - and 15 more minutes, just because she has the microphone.)

Ugghh – gives new meaning to and keen awareness of the muscle group, including but not limited, to gluteus-rumpus (can't call it a maximus, not gona happen)—oww, my legs!! Course I may never walk normally again either.

Here are a few things I learned:

#3 – the floor is wood, stained purple. Which is really nice, because I thought that was God's way of ensuring me that I would survive to tell V2T that the floor was my FAVORITE color. I desperately wished to be walking on that lovely purple colored flooring, but no – still on the evil dreaded torture machine. Grrr!

#2 – people who ride these devices, S-W-E-A-T… oh my word – then again, that is a HUGE understatement. Oh, me? I had a serious glow about my person – no outward sign of over-exertion. lol

#1 – my benchmark I found, is that delightful space in time when I close my eyes and the urge to vomit is controlled by my subconscious mind and no longer the sole effort of my conscious mind, which is still "pushing it / gearing up / racing for 1st in/out of the saddle all for another "minute".

Yes, I'm sure I put the past behind me now – at least I can't fall onto asphalt from here.

Suffice it to say, this was not a stellar performance on my part – but I might actually get on a real "bike" and not feel so anxious.

*-*

However, I'm sure I will have to keep my eyes open during an outdoor ride!

HonuGirl

2 comments:

  1. Oh, FRIEND, it's so good to hear from you! And you are hilarious! Do try to keep your eyes open when cycling outdoors. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me TIRED! No one will think I am this "protected identity" friend of yours, as I would never torture myself, or you like this. Step away from the spinning class. You could be doing something much more useful with your time...like shoe shopping.
    R (I don't need to leave my full name. You know who I am. :0)

    ReplyDelete

Whaddya thinkin?