1.26.2009

Anticipation, Perspiration, and Expiration

What’s the big deal?  

It happened at a basketball game yesterday. 

Jason’s team played exceptionally well – they won, in fact!!  Yeah! 

Well, I wish I could remember more to say – other than he played harder than ever before… it was sweet to watch him – at those moments when his coach and assistant coach (his dad) were verbally affirming him his eyes were darting over to ensure a couple of special people on the bench were listening and watching as well.

 

I think he was nervous.  Not really about the game – that was the perspiration part – he was putting practiced skills into play and it was all coming together.   He was a superstar!

No.  The big anticipation was the blind date type of meeting that was happening on the sidelines.

 

He had been anticipating his mom meeting someone special.   

 

I know you may think you know what I’m saying… but that’s not really what I’m saying.

 

When I arrived at the gym his little brother, Jeffrey was sitting on the bench.  It was he who would have the pleasure of introducing me to this special person.

 

The hello was gracious and very pleasant; followed by “I’ve heard many great things about you.”  “It’s nice to finally meet you.”  “We saved you a seat.”   

Of course it was mutual, as I had heard a lot of wonderful, encouraging things too  – as I smiled and greeted the woman my boys call “their second mom”.   Their dad’s girlfriend, Miss K.

 

I’ll wait a moment as you take the weight of that into consideration…

 

Hmm…

 

Yup…

 

Just a little bit longer before I move on….

 

 

Okay then…

 

That’s good enough. 

 

Are you still with me?  

 

Cool.   I’m thinkin’ it went quite well for a first introduction.  She had Fame with her:  a puppy-in-training (Guide Dogs for the Blind) who found Jeffrey to be absolutely it’s new best friend.  

 

Jeffrey with Fame and Jason’s game were good distractions for two women in what could have been an awkward hour of watching basketball together. 

 

Yes, all was nice and comfortable.  Until the distinctive difference was pointed out by Jeffrey – “Mom, you have no Nike stuff on”… 

pointing out that he alone had more than 6 ‘swooshes’ on his attire and well, Miss K of course (who is employed by Nike) was sufficiently covered from shirt to shoes.   I was happy to report that Jeffrey’s shirt alone had enough swooshes for two of us, if he were kind enough to share.   [ News flash – I only wear Nike type stuff when I work out – if my shoes don’t have a heel, I’m uhh  -- kinda’ at a loss for what that feels like… let’s just say I haven’t changed my ways yet. ]  

Lucky for me though, the topic of Nike's was quickly diverted back to the shoes on his feet.  It must be tough on a kid when two Mom-figures in his life point out that his Nike’s are desperately in need of replacement (holes ‘n rips are bad, right?); Nike shoes cannot look like trash when one of the two commenting works for Nike and the other has bought (& returned) new shoes that Kiddo refuses to wear because they are not Nike (well, Kiddo says they didn’t fit – but he reminded buyer so politely that it’s his Dad’s job to by shoes at Nike.  Ummm, no comment.)  

 

Speaking of shoes… and truthfully just needing to change subjects for a while.   I got a great deal on some shoes the other day.  No REALLY … I bought FOUR (yes, 4) pair.  

There’s Red, Brown, Navy and yes, another pair of black.  Tee Hee … it was so FUN!!   They are not the same style either… it was a good day!   First of all, they were on a great sale… but secondly I had a coupon and in the end, I paid less than the price of one pair for all four!!!   WOW – did I have a great time trying on my shoes with work clothes and jeans and … well, it’s just a thing I do…  shoes!   They can bring a smile to my face even after a slightly awkward morning talking about Nike’s.

 

Oh what can I say…

 

I can’t pretend, as I rather like Miss K.  She’s kind, caring, generous and yes, attractive too.  But the best thing is that we are in agreement for the kids’ stuff.   She looks at them adoringly (and treats them like gold).  Having no children of her own, she’s happy to spoil them with her affections and tickles and puppy-dog tails. 

 

Wherein my hope is that the woman who may one day be a permanent part of the boys life be a catalyst for change in their world – it is true at least for now; they will be exposed to world travel (a trip to Europe planned this summer with Miss K & their dad), Lego robotics (Christmas gifts), and an unending supply of Nike attire (sports-minded boys’ dream); and she made sure they were at church Sunday morning.

 

I can see why my boys are enamored by this lovely person. 

 

Upon boys arriving tonight -- it was my pleasure to observe that the old Nike’s had their moment of expiration along with a ratty old jacket, both replaced by Nike.  Ah-hem!  Not that Kiddo didn’t protest the new options… it’s just hard to refuse gifts from Miss K. 

How delightful is that?   

 

Perhaps we express our differences in style, travel, activities and men… but loving God, loving kids (and buying shoes) are all good things in terms of what it takes to be “like” Mom.

 

HonuGirl

2 comments:

  1. You are so graceful. I cannot imagine the difficulties having to deal with the other woman would bring...you are amazing in your strength and love of the Lord.

    Bless your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Jolene! I gave you an award, come over and check it out!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Whaddya thinkin?