2.26.2009

I live with boys…

Isn't that backwards? It sure seems backwards to me, since I’m the one who has a job, buys groceries and pays the rent, etc.   Truthfully, the boys own the majority of the landscape: ownership identified by quantity of Lego bricks, Hot Wheels, Dr. Seuss & Berenstain Bears books, backpacks, and MAN-sized shoes spread on the floor.

Yes, surprisingly enough with the neck brace gone – the clutter has returned (along with random, a-hem “demands”).  What’s with the thought that Mom (sitting the farthest from the kitchen) is the logical choice to get you another drink to go with the snack she managed to make just before collapsing?  Exactly!  A simple smile spoke – oh, I’ll get it myself.

We’ve all had that feeling – the one where you hold in the sarcastic remark to say something that sounds polite. 

It happened last night for me.  I gave a rather polite response (with mental irritation hanging heavy on my tongue pressing it back until I nearly gagged); I thought nothing of it…

until…

Jason asked what was wrong and why was I using “that” voice.  Innocently, I inquired what he meant – uhh, “what WAS I thinking?”

 

He proceeded to identify THAT voice as my “tell” for frustration, disapproval or annoyance.

“When you sound like that there’s usually something wrong.  But I’m doing my homework; I put down the Gameboy when you asked.  What’s bothering you?”

 

Okay.  Flashback.  

 I remember as a new mom… there were precious moments when looking at his adorable little dimpled face, thinking – 

"I can’t wait for the day you can communicate with me."

Hello!!

Of course, I was referring to “ma-ma” and “I wuv you”  

NOT this intellectual inquisition of the state of my mental affairs because I’m “sounding” a little off my “Sweet Mom” game. 

 

Turns out – he accurately deciphered my “tell”.   I am not a poker face (voice) Mom.   I don’t even win at Uno.

A voice tell – who knew?  I was trying to be nice and the act of holding back what my boys and I call “harsh words” I was using the “strong tone” which sounds like grinding fingernails on construction paper (they don’t have chalkboards, so they describe it as they ‘hear’ it).

 

In the sense of parenting I’m quite proud of the fact that the boys feel they can openly discuss life and have input in how these conversations take place in our home.  We use a lot of word pictures to describe emotions and behavior.  The key is to know each other well enough to create the word pictures from actual events –that’s how we get very impactful responses. 

 

At times, I ignore the clutter and boy landscape in trade for reading on the couch and playing (losing) games on the carpet … careful not to lean on Lego bricks.

 

But there are limits.  Recently after looking at the floor – I shared that I felt sad; inquiring minds wanted to know why?  I pointed out that apparently the surviving Bionicles forgot to bury their dead after the battle – where’s the honor in that?   Groan    

 

Holy Bionicles Batman ... it looks brutal.

An hour later the Lego body-removal vehicle was finally assembled and began it's work.

Tomorrow I’m going to wear the neck brace.  

HonuGirl

4 comments:

  1. You should totally wear it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put it on as soon as you see the first toy on the carpet. You could start a side business selling these to other moms, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wise friends I have... I'd make tons of money w/that idea... =) Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture... I just remember 'little' Jason weighed a ton at that age! He was good for a one minute bench press exercise.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete

Whaddya thinkin?