6.09.2009

Now that's the real thing...

She can breathe again.
Hospitals, illness, anxiety and stress seem inseparable.
I'm child #4, daughter #2 and #1 BabyGirl -- it has been four days since I'd heard my Dad's voice; well, other than a groan or painful "uh-huh" in response to a comfort question.
I called my Mum tonight checking on his status. She happened to be at his side in the hospital room visiting with two of their dearest friends.
We talked for a short while about his comfort, ability to communicate and his medical situation. Which was a relief, as the surgeon shared today that she would like to try a different option rather than immediately offer her remarkable skills with a scalpel to his bowel.
Yeah, it didn't sound any better as an unwritten thought.
~
Dad was sleeping when I called so I didn't want Mum to wake him; I asked her to tell him how many people were praying for him and which family members had emailed me to share their love and good wishes.
As she finished another story, I asked her to tell her friends "hello" from me; she did so, and I heard each of them respond with a "hello JoJo" in the background.
... and as if he could feel my anxiety my Dad made a noise that sound like "haah" which Mum interpreted as "hi".
I was grateful and at peace hearing even that much from him; but as I was saying "tell him I love him and I'll see him soon" -- the phone had already shuffled to his mouth and I heard him clearly say "HI! and THAT's the real thing!" in an almost normal voice.
It was the most he'd said to me while I sat in his room on Sunday; to me it was like a week's worth of discussions -- whew!!
Despite the fact that I can't breathe from a darn cold caught as soon as I left the hospital -- I am breathing freely -- as Daddy's little girl feels a whole lot better!!
That's the REAL thing!!!
HonuGirl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whaddya thinkin?